Cardiovascular diseases (such as heart, stroke and blood vessel disease) accounts for about 30% of deaths in New Zealand (more).
Many of these deaths are premature and even preventable. The key steps you might consider to reduce your risk (as recommended by the NZ Heart Foundation) are:
- Stop smoking. It’s the most important thing you can do to reduce risk of heart disease.
- Have a heart and diabetes check. See your GP.
- Eat more heart healthy foods. Click here for ideas.
- Aim for 30 minutes of moderate exercise every day.
- Get your cholesterol and blood pressure checked.